MATCH REPORT: Scarborough Ath 1, City 1

Most of the Dollies faithful made the trip to the Flamingo Land stadium on the trail of another away win for Mark Fell’s men.

Lancaster started the game in a lively fashion with a shot straight from kick off as we looked to take advantage of another 3G surface. A corner followed by efforts from both Blinkhorn and Carsley set the tone for an afternoon where the Dollies dominated for long periods. Scarborough’s man between the sticks Taylor cleared the danger and that would become the start of what was a strong 90 minutes for the home team’s number one.

Lancaster pressed Athletic back for most of the first half and chances were many. Ironically it was the home side who had the only goal of the half. Before that both teams had incredible chances to take the lead in very different ways. For City it was a targeted header from front man Matt Blinkhorn which produced a save that most spectators present on the day still don’t know how it was pulled off.

The visitors looked to be flailing at times whilst City pressed and sprayed the ball around in a delightful manner. A shock to the system swiftly followed. After great play by City’s midfield led to nothing, Scarborough played a ball forward and front man Walshaw broke free of the Dollies defence. The ball went out for a Lancaster goal kick, only after striking both posts and giving visiting fans a coronary.

This was a taste of things to come, although for most of the half City continued to play exciting passing football. Charlie Bailey had a long range effort and our two front men kept finding Taylor’s hands from their efforts.

The afternoon got a bit tasty after our midfield maestro David Norris was adjudged to have fouled a Scarborough player and was subsequently manhandled to the ground by Athletic’s Brooksby. Both players were booked for their involvement.

As we approached half time we again started to reflect on the good chances we’d created. Not long after, Scarborough got their goal. A cross met by James Walshaw guided the ball past Jack Sims on the near post, into the top far side of the away goal.

Still City presses forward and responded positively straight away. This was a game where you just felt there was more to come from City.

Half time came and went. City kept momentum, passion and belief.

Early in the second half, Blinks, Bailey, Carsley, Wilson and Norris all had chances and Scarborough offered little as a response. They started to come into the game a little more as time went on, but strong defending by Steel and co kept out any possible finishing off of the Dollies by the play off chasing team.

Substitutes were made to try a different approach. Dawson and Kilifin were brought on to add guile to our advances.

It took until 88 minutes for City to get their justified reward in this game. An obvious penalty (City’s second rational appeal of the day by the way) converted by super sub Paul Dawson gave the Dollies a deserved draw.

In the final stages City still kept coming forward. A fine display with partial reward gives Lancaster another away point and I’m sure all who saw will agree it was an afternoon of quality football at the seaside.

Pundits Man of the Match: Blinkhorn
Used Substitutes: Dawson, Kilifin, Jarvis