MATCH REPORT: City 2, Whitby Town 1

The Blue’s ended the 2018/19 Evo-Stik Premier League season with drama and entertainment as they came from 1-0 down to beat Whitby Town 2-1 with goals from Glen Steel and David Norris.
Today’s win sealed a 12th place finish for the Dollies.

The first 45 minutes of the match saw both City and Town have numerous chances to open the scoring.
The first big chance of the match came to Whitby in the 15th minute when City keeper Jack Sims spilled a cross into the box for it to land in front of Town’s Coffey who could only hit the post from point blank range.
Then less than 10 minutes later, it was Brad Carsley that tested the Whitby keeper Norton who had to make a low save from Carsley’s low driven shot.
Then five minutes later it was Carsley again who had the best chance to grab the first goal of the game. A great through ball from Norris put it on a plate for Carsley to slot the ball into the net but his shot dragged agonisingly wide.
The rest of the first half saw both teams continue to apply pressure on each other’s goal. But with the score at 0-0, the referee blew the half time whistle, with both teams feeling they should have scored.
During the first half, Whitby were forced into an early substitution with starting striker Greg Rutherford having to leave the pitch with an injury to be replaced by Bradley Fewster.
It was Fewster who scored the first goal of the game in the 57th minute. After a good stop from Norton, this put Town on the front foot on the break which ended up with Fewster striking low in the penalty area to beat Sims and make it 1-0 to the visitors.
With 30 minutes to go, City were pushing for an equaliser.
City only trailed for just over 10 minutes before Glenn Steel rose above anyone else to head home past Norton from a free kick cross deep into the Whitby box.
In another 10 minutes, City struck gold when David Norris scored his own rebounded shot off Norton to seal the win for City and end the season on a great high.
The final few minutes did get a bit ugly when Whitby substitute Leon Scott was sent off by the referee for headbutting City’s Sam Bailey. But did not take away from a great result for the Blues.
Blues boss Mark Fell praised both teams for an entertaining end of season match.
“Credit to both sides, it wasn’t a boring end of season tie, both teams looked like they were desperate to win the game, and that brought about loads of chances.” He said.

On City’s performance, Mark said: “In the first half we missed a lot of good chances. Obviously, Brad (Carsley) went off at half time and that gave us a different dimension. We changed the way we played second half, and despite us going 1-0 down, they are a group of players who believe they are going to win games.
“There was no panic button we didn’t really up the urgency, we just kept doing what we do and ultimately scored two great goals.
“The first goal is a great bit of play from Steely and the second one from Nozza is unbelievable. But the saves their keeper made, he made four, five, six top class saves.
“So I think we were value for it, but credit to Whitby, they came here to play and have a good go at us and it was a decent game of football to watch.”