City fall short of the mark as Ashton United take all three points

Mark Fell’s men came into this game looking to bounce back from their home defeat to South Shields last week, with Ashton United having the worst home form in the league.

City started off positively, a neat one-two between Norris and Carsley saw the latter in on goal, but his shot was saved well by the Ashton keeper.

Both sides struggled to create any clear-cut chances from then on until Dawson was slipped in on goal. His last touch was juts too heavy and the keeper didwell to beat Dawson to the ball before he could get a shot away.

Norris was in on goal after a great lofted ball by Charlie Bailey, he went down in the box after some contact from his marker, but the referee waved away appeals for the penalty.

Dawson shot on the edge of the box was blocked by the arm, but again the referee said no penalty.

Charlie Bailey was forced to come across to block what could have been a certain goal for the hostsafter seemingly being in on goal.

25 minutes in and both sides had chances to take the lead, but neither have been able to take them.

Ben Hardcastle stung Ashton’s palms after making the keeper dive low to his left. The first major chance for the hosts.

Charlie Bailey made another important block, this time to deny Brewster.

Ashton began to grow into the game, and as they did, they got their reward. Almond got the ball on the edge of the box and fired one low into the bottom left corner, giving Ashton no chance. 32 minutes player, 1-0 to Ashton.

City pressed hard for an equaliser but were not able to test the keeper since the opener.

Charile Bailey fired a strong effort from the edge of the box but Hartley held onto it well.

Half time and City will have felt they hadn’t been at their regulare best. A few sights of goal but nothing solid from the Dollies in the first half.



The second half didn’t make for much good viewing for City fans, as Ashton United began on the front foot.

Bakare mistimed his run and missed a header, letting his marker in on goal, luckily the player was offside.

Brewster unmarked in the box after a great cross from the right, headed just wide of Ashton’s left post.Shortly after, Sheridan had a shot fizzed wide of the post.

First change for City came on the hour mark when Bakare made way for Ben Hudson.

Charlie Bailey went on one of his classic mazey runsthrough midfield, before being brought down on the edge of the box. Rowney booked for the foul.

From the free kick, Steel tried to head the ball back across goal but ended up clearing for the hosts.

Former Dolly Nialle Rodney came on to replaceAlmond for the hosts. Whilst City made a second chance, with Feeney on for Carsley.

Dawson did really well to get the ball back from the opposition and run towards goal, he was brought down in similar fashion to Bailey earlier on. Huntwas booked this time.

Ashton United made their second change with 15 minutes to go, with Hughes coming on for Tomsett.

Calls for handball in the Ashton box were once again waved away by the referee, Wilson’s shot after the appeals deflected out for a corner.

City then used their effective corner routine to come close to scoring. Dawson’s effort was cleared off the line from the corner.

City’s final role of the dice came in the form of Ben Anderson who came on for Charlie Bailey in the last seven minutes.

Ultimately it wasn’t enough, leaving City with a frustrating afternoon on the road. Almond’s first half strike was enough for the home side to take all three points.

Now the Dolly Blues will be turning their attention to a big game against playoff contenders Warrington.




By Adam Smith