Match Report: Scarborough 0, City 1

Clinical Lancaster City solidified themselves in second place after a 1-0 away victory against Scarborough Athletic.
David Norris got the winning goal on the hour mark that gifted City all three points to take on their trip back to Lancashire.

The win puts the Dolly Blues three points ahead of third placed Basford, but Basford do have a game in hand due to City’s previous cup ties.

The opening encounters were controlled by the hosts, who forced a save from Sam Ashton after two minutes.

Scarborough troubled to test Sam Ashton despite having more of the ball and creating opportunities early on.

Fensome was booked thirteen minutes in as City tried to craft some chances of their own, which they struggled to do in the opening 20 minutes.

The Dollies went on a counterattack through David Norris, who was then fouled in the build-up, resulting in a free kick on the edge of the box. The free kick unfortunately hit the wall and City had to regroup.

On the half-hour mark the hosts went close when Chris Dawson was slipped in behind City’s defence. Ashton saved Dawson’s first effort with the second going wide of the goal. Not long after Dawson hit the side netting.

Scarborough really began putting pressure on the City backline and came close to finding the net, only to be denied by the post.

Half time came and it was a half that neither side could really be happy with. Scarborough would’ve wanted to carry more of a threat in their attacks, whilst City needed to find a way into the game.

The second half saw new signing Nialle Rodney make his debut, replacing Matty Blinkhorn for the next 45 minutes.

City had the first chance of the half when Norris headed over a Sam Bailey corner. Ashton had to make a save shortly after Norris’s effort.

Just when City needed a man to step up, up stepped Daivd Norris. Nially Rodney made the initial effort which forced Scarborough shot stopper Tommy Taylor into a save. The keeper made a complete hash of it and fumbled the ball, leaving Norris with the goal at his mercy to get his 11th league goal of the season. 1-0 City.

Just over twenty minutes to go and Ashton made a good save to deny the hosts once again, with City fans in full voice.
Paul Dawson came on in the 70th minute for Willis as City looked to add more fresh legs to see the game out.

With ten minutes left of the 90 City went close to getting a second after a free kick was whipped into the box and almost wound up in the back of the net.

Rodney gave the Dollies some pace going forward even in the last stages of the game. He danced around a number of defenders before unleashing an effort wide of the mark.

From then on chances were hard to come by, which led to the full-time whistle being blown.

Another day, another three points for City who showed that they can pull off a good result after a frustrating performance.
City now face Gainsborough Trinity at the Giant Axe next Saturday at 3pm. COYDB!