Match Report – Nantwich Town 3 Lancaster City 2

First half woes for City lead to 3 points dropped away at Nantwich, as a late comeback for City was halted by the Nantwich keeper.

The home side took the lead early on as Joe Malkin added to his recent scoring form, as he finished well into the corner after a long ball into the box.

Not to be outdone, City responded excellently to the goal and went straight on the attack and fired back with an equaliser. Just three minutes after the opener, Bradley Carsley who slotted home to make it 1-1.

The game continued to be eventful for City with Sam Bailey trying to capitalise on the Dolly Blue’s momentum, only to see his shot saved by Nantwich’s keeper, Gregory Hall.

Almost straight after, City were dealt a damaging blow again as Nantwich regained the lead. City were applying a lot of good pressure which ultimately turned into a counterattack for Nantwich, which was finished off by Luke Walsh to put the hosts back in front.

Just like the first for the home side, City had no intentions on sitting back and allowing Nantwich any freedom.

This time, City had a free kick in a dangerous area which was played out wide and caused Nantwich problems. The danger was only over after an impressive save by the goalkeeper, Hall.

Jack Armer was the man to continue the Dolly Blues’ chase as he put in an incredible challenge on the edge of the box. The ball was quickly moved up the pitch and crossed in, but it went just over the bar.

A huge blow for City added to first half problems as the captain, Glenn Steel suffered an injury. He was replaced on the 27th minute by Charlie Bailey.

City continued to cause problems for the hosts as Paul Dawson went to put the ball into the box but was brought down before he could get the cross off. The resulting free kick was delivered in well by Rob Wilson, but it ends up going wide of the post.

The home side had spells where they gave City something to worry about. Just before half time they played a good ball down the line and then a good cross in which was to the back post but was cleared well by the Lancaster back line.

City responded instantly yet again, with Charlie Bailey dispossessing the Nantwich man really well and then playing a through ball to Rob Wilson but it was just too strong.

Just before the half time whistle, Nantwich put themselves two goals ahead as they made it 3-1 in the 44th minute.

Walsh was knocked off the ball but doesn’t give up on it as he chases it down. He causes City problems in the box and then slotted the ball home as the City defenders threw themselves at the ball to try and prevent the goal.

Just before the second half starter, the home side were forced into a change after David Webb took a nasty blow in the first half. He was replaced by Sean Cooke, who was making his 250th appearance for Nantwich.

Nantwich continued their pressure early on in the first half, forcing a good save from Ashton. After Ashton’s good save, the home side pass it round the midfield and the ball goes into the area, which is cleared well by the Lancaster defence.

City had their first chance of the second half in the 58th minute as City only manage to put the ball just wide after as good ball into the box.

City continued their pressure with two efforts one after the other, with the attack ultimately ending with Carsley has a shot fly wide of the post.

Just two minutes after his effort, Carsley was the second City player to pick up an injury and had to be replaced by Rowan Roache.

City continued their pressure after the change, with three corners on the bounce ending with the ball in the hands of the Nantwich keeper.

The game went into a spree of back and forth attack, with both sides trying their luck.

City had a huge push late on with an amazing chance in the 86th minute. The ball was perfectly whipped into the head of Paul Dawson only for his effort to be brilliantly saved by Hill.

Straight after, City had their goal. The ball was played into the path of Dawson who smashed the ball into the back of the net to give the Dolly Blues a late chance to get back into the game.

City’s late barrage and Hall was the man of the moment for Nantwich. A great Dawson volley was expertly saved by Hall yet again.

The late City spell was not to be, as the game ended 3-2 to Nantwich in what was a gutting blow for the Dolly Blues on the road.

Next up for City is an away trip to Witton Albion on Tuesday 1st October with kick off at 7:45pm.


By Tomos Berry