MATCH REPORT: Hyde United 5-2 City

City swept away after they succumbed to back-to-back league defeats against Hyde United.

Goals from Glenn Steel and Charlie Bailey either side of the half proved to only be consolation goals as the Tigers ran rampant, with Tom Pratt scoring a hat trick.

The Dollies suffered an early blow and fell behind just two minutes in. A defence splitting pass was latched onto by Hyde’s captain, Pratt, who dinked it over the helpless, Sam Ashton.

City looked to respond right away and almost did. Rob Wilson floated in a great corner which Glenn Steel met but his goal bound header was cleared away to safety.

A huge chance then went begging for Hyde. Referee, Jordan Crossley gave a dubious free-kick which Liam Tongue cannoned off the woodwork.

However, Tongue wasn’t going to rue that missed free-kick. Just moments later, he had another bite at the cherry and curled one home to double his side’s lead.

Charlie Bailey tried to halve the deficit when he turned his man with ease but his shot was saved by Hyde goalkeeper, Lloyd Allinson.

However, on the half-hour mark, City did pull one back. Another inviting corner from Wilson was met again by Steel who expertly volleyed it into the top corner.

Charlie Bailey came whiskers away from equalising but his powered shot was thwarted by Allinson.

Just before the half-time whistle blew, Matty Blinkhorn turned and swivelled but the forward’s attempt was saved by the out-stretched, Allinson.

As the second-half got underway, it was déjà vu. A teasing corner bobbled around the penalty box and deflected to John McCombe who poked it home to make it 3-1.

Before City could re-group, they found themselves three goals behind. Pratt again, ran onto a through ball and fired past Ashton into the roof of the net.

The Dolly Blues’ first attempt of the second 45 brought back some renewed hope to Mark Fell’s men. Charlie Bailey unleashed a glorious curling effort which found the bottom right hand corner.

But that hope was quickly dashed. Substitute, Paddy Lane danced past two City defenders and played it across the box to Platt who sealed his hat-trick and made it five.

The opportunities for the tricky midfielder didn’t stop there. Lane shifted the ball onto his left foot and set his sights for the far corner but it pinged off the post.

Lane was a thorn in the City defence for large parts of the second half. Again, he cut in from the right but his effort was put behind by Ashton.

The Tigers kept hunting for a sixth as it was laid back to Tongue but his strike found the gloves of Ashton.

Just before the full time whistle blew, Iliman Ndiaye nearly rubbed salt in the wound. His mazy run beat several Dollies players but like Tongue, his effort went straight down Ashton’s throat.

City welcome Gainsborough Trinity FC to the Giant Axe next Saturday where they’ll be looking to get back to winning ways.


Hyde United: Allinson; Roscoe, McCombe, Fagbola, Brownhill; Sutherland (Lane 21’), Tongue, Young (York 86’), Ndiaye; Sharp (Adams 75’), Pratt.

City: Ashton; Hudson, Steel, Armer (Feeney 71’); Wills, Wilson, C.Bailey (Carsley 62’), Cowperthwaite (Pilkington 52’), Rydel; Blinkhorn, Norris.

Attendance: 452.


Match Report by Ben Rooth.