MATCH REPORT: Buxton 1, City 1

City earn a point on the road after 1-1 draw with Buxton.

City were pegged back in their attempt to bounce back from last week’s league defeat after conceding a second half penalty to draw at Buxton FC.
The goals for both sides came from penalties that were both awarded for a handball. City’s penalty came three minutes before half time, whilst the hosts earnt there’s a minute into the second half.
Three minutes into the first half and the hosts ended up finding the back of the net. Fortunately for City the early goal was disallowed for a foul in the build-up.
It took another 13 minutes for a chance to materialise, with Buxton forcing their way into the box and sending an effort over the bar.
The Dollies grew into the game and attack the Buxton goal. One phase 20 minutes in saw a route-one pass to Feeney just escape his reach which would have seen him in on goal.
Sam Ashton had little to do up to this point, but he was called into action when Diego Degirolamo took a shot at goal.
The hosts made a first half change 26 minutes in, with Mendez Jones coming off for Yianni Nicolau.
Coming up to the half hour mark and neither side really created many chances to warrant a lead. A well worked move involving talisman David Norris saw him force the Buxton keeper into a good save.
Both City and Buxton were running at each other’s goals and putting balls into the box, but neither could fashion an opener. Five minutes before half time and City got their chance.
The Dollies had a free kick in a dangerous area, the free kick was handled in the box by a Buxton player and City were awarded a penalty. Rob Wilson stepped up and slotted it past the keeper. 1-0 City.
Half time came not soon after and City would have been happy going into the break with the advantage after a half of very few talking points.
Onto the second half and Graham Lancashire’s men could not have got off to a more frustrating start. One minute into the second 45 and Buxton were awarded a penalty for handball, allowing the hosts to level the scoring. 1-1.
Despite the sucker-punch equaliser, City were the ones on the front foot in the opening 10 minutes of the second half. City players were linking up well but were unable to test the keeper.
The Dollies were dominating set piece stats, both with free kicks and corners. But Graham Lancashire’s side just couldn’t find a second goal.
With 13 minutes to go City almost conceded a second after Ashton was robbed of possession, giving the hosts a golden chance to get a winner. Luckily City defenders got back and made a goal line clearance to deny Buxton a second.
City made three subs in the last 20 minutes to try and snatch all three points. Feeney, Dawson and Carsley all made way for Charlie Bailey, Rodney and Blinkhorn.
Despite the changes, neither City nor Buxton were able to take the lead before the full-time whistle. A point on the road restrains City to second spot, whilst a win would have sent us top.
Full time score: 1-1
By Adam Smith